Friday, December 02, 2011

William's Route 66 Half Marathon-Tulsa, OK



November 20th, 2011-   Since the RedMan Triathlon, I have maintained my running in order to run the Route 66 Half Marathon in Tulsa.  And for the past 3 weeks I do mean "maintain".  It was a struggle.  With limited daylight I was pushed to a treadmill, just not wanting to go fast and even wanting to walk (but I didn't).  Just needing some motivation, that's all.  Funny thing is, I had strong runs on the weekends running with the OKC Landrunners that could prove hopeful for a personal record, yet Monday would come around and my bed just felt so warm.

Justin and I were going to run it together and I told him "I just don't know if I want to run it fast".  He said "OK, we will just run it at whatever speed you feel like."  That was the perfect answer.  Because come race morning I was ready to run!


It was thirty-seven degrees on race morning we walk down stairs from our hotel and the starting line was literally 100 yards away.  We get in our corral and I see the 1:50 pacer balloons.  I asked Justin if he wanted to stick with the 1:50 pacer for the first 4 miles then adjust slower if we need to from there. (it usually takes me about 4 miles to get in rhythm)  He agreed.   Kind of last minute for goal setting but hey, I needed to just run how I felt this time.  Five minutes or less and the gun went off. 


Most of the time we stayed right in front of the 1:50 half pacer and the 3:40 full pacer.  I think running with the 3:40 pacer was symbolic in that if I was to qualify for Boston one day,  I MEAN WHEN I QUALIFY FOR BOSTON ONE DAY, this was the pace that I would need to be at (8:23 minutes/mile).  I also have a good friend Rebecca who is a super fast Mama that is trying to qualify.  She recently came within 34 seconds.  It is only a matter of time before she achieves that goal.


I felt great at our starting pace and after a few miles I knew we could settle in at this pace.  The first half was full of hills and the last half was flat.  I slowed my pace momentarily to grab water at a water stop.  This must have change the angle of my body and OUCH my hip flexor was trying to say hello.  It brought me to a limp and I kept running to get rid of it.  It stopped and I didn't hear from it again until.......the next water stop.  I told Justin, he was going to have to get me water next time because I couldn't slow my speed without my hip flexor catching. 


About a mile and a half before the finish line Justin says "the 1:50 pacer is making his move".  WHAT? Making his move?  He was a little behind so he sped up and I was going to have to speed up.  I kind of only have one gear at a time, I like to get in and stay in it.  Oh well, let's go faster, I guess.  Well, I was stuck in the pack of the 3:40 full runners and I was trying to maneuver over and the guy behind me steps on the back of my shoe.  I was wearing my Vibram Five Fingers, (a new distance PR for them) so the back of it mashed down easily.  I was quite frustrated in the dilemma:  I could stop and fix my shoe, which meant I would lose the pacer and I was concerned that my hip flexor might catch and really slow me.  If I kept going I would still be slowed by running on the back of my shoe but my hip flexor was safe.  Moments earlier I was feeling like I could break the 1:50 mark since we were so close.  I ran for about a half a mile before fixing the shoe.  And I couldn't catch the pacer.  I picked it up for a strong finish once we were in reach.  What a great race! My time:  1:50:28 an 8:26 min/mile pace. 


I couldn't believe it.  Not only was it a personal record, it wasn't that hard.......which meant I can go faster. My motivation was back! Also, it is about 5 minutes away from my spring 2012 goal of a 1:45 half.  I didn't just pull that number out of my head, there is a mission behind this madness.  I would like to be able to run a 1:50 half marathon at the end of a half iron distance triathlon.  So I figure I need at least a five minute cushion, hence the 1:45 goal.   

Checkout the hardware....                                             

             
             Results:              

Time:  1:50:28  Pace:  8:26

Age Group:  20th out of 313   

Female Overall:  99th out of 1856

Male and Females:  388th of 3127

Average Time:  2:19:24 


   




No comments:

Post a Comment