| Aaron checking my tires |
It turns out that Schlegel Bicycles is a full service bicycle shop. You know Coach Ryan is a great coach when he will babysit your 8 month old. Thanks for taking one for the team coach!
| Full Service Bike Shop to include help with Abram |
AM I READY?
Four days until race. I am ready, fearless, and not at all nervous. I keep telling myself that anyway. I am ready. I am ready. No, I AM READY! (yelling in my post) I have put in the training and here we are.
I have heard Coach Ryan mention how triathletes are by the book and don't miss a training regardless; it is just part of their personality. Well, Justin can vouch for me, my personality type fits right in. Whether it's getting up insanely early, pushing the boys on a 9.5 mile training run, or nursing between my bike and run, I have given it all I have. No regrets.
So many times in my head I question how hard I should push in the bike in order to still be good for the run. Not having completed a 6.5 hour workout, I am not sure how I am going to feel in the final 13.1 mile run. They say "Your run is only as good as your bike." It's hard not to go all out and get a good bike time, but I think I will stay conservative on the bike, so I can hopefully have a solid run. I am done questioning this as well as all of the other what if scenarios that my mind has come up with. I told you, I AM READY.
It is amazing how good I feel. I feel completely in balance, strong, and healthy. With regular visits to my chiropractor Dr. Jackson, massage therapy, good food, and an exceptional family support crew, I just think that we are about to pull this whole thing off in the best way possible. I haven't felt this good since I was in massage school getting regular massages and running miles and miles along the coast of Oahu.
Many people have asked me if I have lost weight during training and if I am in the best shape of my life. So here is the skinny on my skinny: I had several pounds (8) of baby weight since I just delivered Abram 4 months prior to training. Immediately, I lost three pounds when training started. Then week after week of ten and eleven hour trainings, I couldn't believe that I wasn't losing the rest of it, until I began to notice the fat being replaced by solid muscle. Right now I am up 4.5 pounds from my pre-Abram weight. And honey it ain't a comin' off. Thankfully, it is all muscle. (with padding around the edges that make me, me). After marathon training I had a more slender appearance. Now, I have a more athletic build. With that all being said, I am in the best shape of my life.
I am excited to see everyone that will be coming to support me on race day. I know I will need you, especially when the going gets tough. We can do it though. See you soon my family and friends.
I haven't got to blog in a while.............I have been a little busy. But hey I feel like my mind is a continuous blog if that counts for anything. So I will try to post a recap of a few highlights.
REDMAN BIKE COURSE
| Piedmont tornado, half a mile wide |
Twice now, I have had the chance to ride the 43 of the 56 miles of the Redman Bike Course. The course is mostly rolling hills.
The first time I rode the course was August 27th. I went hard chasing after Coach Megan, Steve, and Taylor. There is no way I could ride at that pace during the half iron distance and function for a 13.1 mile run. I averaged 17.7 mph and I was pumped and my legs were completely fatigued!
Last weekend, September 17th, we road the same 43 miles and we had stronger winds. I didn't go as hard and I practiced my race nutrition again. Starting at Council Road my pace slowed drastically with the winds. That is were it really gets tough. Council Road had better watch out on race day! I was still fatigued after, but to a lesser degree than a few weeks ago.
OBS STREAK September 11th, 2011
The Oklahoma Bicycle Society puts this bike tour on every year and it fit in my training perfectly. I have ridden a couple of times with OBS and they are a great group of people.

Accompanied by my Team in Training friend Emily, I rode 40 miles starting from Mitch Park in Edmond. We talked most of the ride so time flew by. I was a little surprised at all of the hills in the first 15 miles and it took me a little while to get my legs warmed up. This was an important training for me because I was practicing my hydration and nutrition, including getting up extra early to eat 2 hours prior. It was also a brick workout, so I ran 5 miles following the ride and I got to try out my new Headsweats visor. I was needing something that would allow my head to stay cool, yet offer some shade. It was awesome! Come check it out on race day!
The run was great and I felt like I could have ran a half marathon if it was race day.
We enjoyed some Johnnie Carino's pasta afterward and some playground time with Justin, Asher, and Abram.
OPEN WATER SWIMS
For several weeks now our group has been meeting at Arcadia Lake for our group swims. This is nice because it is so close to home.
So how is it? The fact that you can't see anything doesn't bother me. The problem is, I let my mind wander and I start thinking about snakes biting me and I get a little freaked out. Sometimes I swim over warm pockets or cold pockets and that scares me into speed swimming.
Last week Coach Ryan changed our course from swimming around the buoys to swimming to a point or a peninsula. He said it was quarter of a mile..........you have got to be kidding me. I would have guessed it was a mile easy by the looks of it. Race day will be like swimming to that point 5 times.
Last night we got our wetsuits and got to practice in them. They help in buoyancy so much I couldn't quiet get my kicking figured out. Do I kick fast or slow or big or small? Do I even need to kick? I was a little claustrophobic at first, but that subsided.
1.2 miles, here I come!
KNEE SCARE
We went out of town for Labor Day weekend. The day we left I had a 12 mile run and I felt great, during and afterwards. I was on pace for a sub 2 hour half marathon and was pretty excited about that. We were in the car for three hours and I got out of the car and my left knee was sore. I have never heard from the left knee before and I didn't want to. I went to bed not thinking too much about it. I got up in the middle of the night and my knee was extremely sore, injured sore, 3 weeks until race and oh no my knee is too sore. I texted one of my cycling buddies and canceled the planned ride, scaled back my entire week of training and rested (as much as possible with two little ones). I iced it all day. The next morning I went for a swim, and when I got out of the water, it was healed. No soreness, yea!
| Icing and reading Dean Karnazes' book called Run |

Dear Friends and Family,
ReplyDeleteInspiration comes in many forms. The past 138 days my inspiration has been a blend of swimming, biking and running…courtesy of my wife Janna Kay Pratt. If you have read her blog you would agree that this woman is a special person. As you know she has been training (relentlessly) for the Redman Half Ironman since May 8th, 2011. When she decided to compete in this race, I didn’t really know what to expect from the training, but I did know how what to expect from Janna. First, when she made up her mind to do it, I knew she would do it all out! No skipping training, no half hearted efforts, no excuses…just focused determination. Very similar to how she trained for her first marathon. Similar to how she prepared for childbirth and raising our boys. Similar to how she approaches relationships with her friends, family and husband. Second, I knew she wouldn’t miss a training opportunity unless one of the boys was sick. It didn’t matter if she was tired or had aches or pains, she would push through. If I was sick…well let’s just say I’d better not get sick. Just kidding, Janna. Third, I had a hunch that the journey would be unforgettable and we would all experience breakthroughs of perceived limitations. Truth be told, I knew Janna was going to dominate the training and I have every confidence she will exceed her own expectations on race day. My real concern was that I would be her weak link.
Well, here we are nearing the finish line, or starting line I guess, and by the grace of God and the help and encouragement of friends and family, we are doing great! We have had our high and low moments for sure, but I am glad to say we are better because of the journey.
If you are able to join us this Saturday, September 24th, please do so! I believe this will be a true celebration of the human spirit. The race begins at 7:15am at Lake Hefner which is located on the east side of Oklahoma City. Janna’s swim will last around 45 minutes. 56 miles of cycling will probably take 3 hours 15 minutes and there won’t be much opportunity to see the racers during this segment. When she returns from the bike and moves into transition she will need all the encouragement we can give her as the toughest part of the race is still ahead. She loves running and I know she will do great, however, this will be uncharted waters for her as she has never combined this much distance in one event. Fortunately, the run course gives the best opportunity for her supporters to cheer her and other competitors on to the finish. After she finishes the race we’ll be hanging around the TNT tent for a while to watch her teammates finish. If you want to witness the culmination of countless hours of training and sacrifice you won’t want to miss this!
In closing, I’d like to share some of what I have learned over the past four months.
1. Each of us has much more potential than we realize.
2. One way to get into excellent shape is to sign up for a half ironman.
3. Training 8-12 hours each week makes some people happy.
4. It is fun to be a part of something new.
5. It is fun to be a part of something inspiring.
6. Team in Training is a great way to make new friends.
7. Cool people do triathlon.
8. Weird people do triathlon.
9. My wife is an inspiring person. And I thank God for her.
10. Life is too short to not seek adventure and follow your heart!
Thanks again to all our family and friends who have supported this journey. Hope you all have a great finish to your week and if we’re lucky, we’ll see you soon!
God bless,
Justin