Monday, August 08, 2011

Tri OKC Splash and Dash

A local triathlon club, Tri OKC, puts on informal events known as splash and dashes at Lake Arcadia. It is a great way to get some open water swim time with a group.  Another great thing is Tri OKC have people out in kayaks called spotters and they keep an eye on everyone just in case you get tired and need a rest or need some help.  I went on July 28th, 2011 to try it out.  The course is set up to where you can swim 500 meters and run 2 miles, but you can swim, bike, or run all that you want.  I swam 1260 meters (about 29 minutes) and ran 15 minutes.  It is easy to swim crooked in open water, so I had to spot the buoys often.  For some reason I wasn't kicking much and I had to remind myself constantly of the correct technique.  It is easy for the old habits to creep in when you get out of the pool and into open water. 

I met some nice people during and afterwards.   They provided tons of snacks, hydration, and hot dogs afterwards.  I look forward to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment