| Lake Stanley Draper |
GETTING READY!
THE 1st RUN It was 7:00am, already in the 90s and the gun went off. For the first time, I started up front. Not because I could keep up, but just because I wanted to watch the fast people run fast. Usually, you line up with your pace group, to keep people from having to go around you, but today I just wanted to dream a little and think I would be able to keep up someday. The race was a 10k run, 48k (30 miles) bike, and a 5k run. The course was an out and back 5k twice, around the lake twice, and another out and back for the final 5k. My expectations were to finish somewhere between 3.5 hours and 4. I would be happy with a 10 minute pace on the 10k, a 2 hour bike ride, and a sub-eleven 5k. I signed up just for good training and to have some fun. Looking around me, I didn't see many novice triathletes like me. I was judging by how fast people flew by me and of course their "tri" attire. I was sporting my Team in Training tech shirt and my husbands' tri shorts.
I got to cheer on Dan Tigert (pro triathlete and helpful team member at Schlegel bicycle) as he was running in the lead.
THE 1st RUN It was 7:00am, already in the 90s and the gun went off. For the first time, I started up front. Not because I could keep up, but just because I wanted to watch the fast people run fast. Usually, you line up with your pace group, to keep people from having to go around you, but today I just wanted to dream a little and think I would be able to keep up someday. The race was a 10k run, 48k (30 miles) bike, and a 5k run. The course was an out and back 5k twice, around the lake twice, and another out and back for the final 5k. My expectations were to finish somewhere between 3.5 hours and 4. I would be happy with a 10 minute pace on the 10k, a 2 hour bike ride, and a sub-eleven 5k. I signed up just for good training and to have some fun. Looking around me, I didn't see many novice triathletes like me. I was judging by how fast people flew by me and of course their "tri" attire. I was sporting my Team in Training tech shirt and my husbands' tri shorts.
I got to cheer on Dan Tigert (pro triathlete and helpful team member at Schlegel bicycle) as he was running in the lead.
I finished the 10k in 53:11, an 8:34/mile pace! You would think it was a 15 minute pace because it seemed like everyone was ahead of me, including a guy with a mo hawk, that later became "Mo hawk Man" (a name that I kept to myself). In transition, I took off my shoes, got out my backup shoes so I wouldn't forget them the next time around and grabbed my bike off of the rack. Ooops, there goes my helmet onto the ground along with my sunglasses. Helmet, that would be nice. Ok so rewind. Sunglasses, helmet, bike, now we are talking! If you are still staring at my feet, you can stop now.
THE BIKE Thirty miles (two loops around Lake Stanley Draper), this was going to be a new road bike PR. I actually have ridden 33 miles on a mountain bike untrained. Afterwards, I suffered from frostbite fingers, a sore bottom (I didn't own a pair of cycling shorts), and an anti-bike spirit. My mountain bike started collecting dust.
I was relieved to be on the bike and not running. It took me 7 miles before I caught up to someone and passed them. I passed 5 more people, including blue shirt girl that passed me in the run, and I was trying to chase her down. Where is everyone else............as far as I could see, no bikes. I pointed my foot down and my calf started to cramp. I didn't do that again! I hydrated and fueled heavily and felt good.
I was relieved to be on the bike and not running. It took me 7 miles before I caught up to someone and passed them. I passed 5 more people, including blue shirt girl that passed me in the run, and I was trying to chase her down. Where is everyone else............as far as I could see, no bikes. I pointed my foot down and my calf started to cramp. I didn't do that again! I hydrated and fueled heavily and felt good.
I stayed in aero 95% of the time and my bottom was numb from it, and still kind of is. I don't think that is normal...... I think some adjustment needs to be made to my aero bars because it wasn't as comfortable as I feel it should be. When finishing lap two and turning into the marina, the left side of my abdomen started to contract and cramp. I tried to move around so I could get it stabilized in order to get it worked out before the run. I hopped off my bike, said hi to Coach Ryan who was volunteering and ran into transition. My bike time was 1:43:05. I didn't go all out, and I average 17.46 mph on the bike. Nice!
The Last Run Have you ever tried to put on vibram five fingers and your toes start cramping? I wasn't used to all of this cramping. I had to take my time to get my backup shoes on. I was off for the final run. No problem with my blisters. Yea!
My legs didn't feel bricked, I am getting used to this I guess. I was hot and tired though. People that I crossed paths with looked exhausted, they would finish way ahead of me, but they were spent and walking. I kept running, I guess I had saved enough energy to finish strong. On the last water stop, I motioned the volunteers to just pour the water on me. Four cups, they splashed all over me, and commented that it was the swim portion of the duathlon.
| Yea! |
At the finish I saw my support crew. They are the best I told you. I couldn't wait to celebrate with hugs and kisses. We hung around for a while to get pictures and as we were headed to the car, the announcer called my name. I had won my age group! An OKC Landrunner once said if you race in enough races and some of them are small enough you will eventually place. Ok, but between you and me there was only two in my age group that was participating in the long course, but hey that's ok. It was excellent training and I won an awesome sunhat that you can see pictured below.
| Receiving my styling hat! |
No comments:
Post a Comment